Day 15


Saturday, January 20, 2018


            I woke up feeling much better today. I was woken up again last night when all of the drunk kids came back at 4:30. I was very mad. I showered and went to breakfast. There were only two of us at breakfast. All of the rest of the kids were sleeping. We did not leave the hotel until 11:00. I hate wasting the day, and I especially hate being held back by kids who need to sleep because they made bad choices the night before. We were supposed to visit the Law School at the University of The Gambia, but we never went. Nothing is going as according to planned from the itinerary. We were supposed to be sitting in on college lectures, visiting embassies and consulates, and meeting with dignitaries. We have done none of this. There is a lot of sitting around and napping that has gone on for the past few days. As you can tell, I am not happy.

            The first item on the agenda for today was to visit the Brikama craft market. This is a very large and very famous craft market in Banjul. The main craft at this market was wooden sculptures. All the crafters are sitting in the middle of each isle, whittling. Each crafter invited us into their shops. After seeing the same crafts repeatedly, I became uninterested. It is amazing what these crafters can do though. After lunch, we had the option to go to the beach or stay back at the hotel. Myself and a few of my friends stayed back at the hotel. Buba sent us on a task to go and find peanut butter at one of the local markets near our hotel. We also wanted to buy a deck of playing cards. We were unsuccessful in both tasks. I did learn a lot from going into these stores though. The first store that we went in was kind of like a mall. The first store was very similar to a Bed Bath and Beyond. They had anything you could possible think of. I was very surprised that they had so much. This proved to me that the city is economically more stable than surrounding villages. Other stores in this building included makeup, furniture, and clothing. They carry a lot of name brand clothing, but I am not sure if the pieces are real or fake. Some of the markets we went into were like any gas station’s food selection. This is quite different from village food options. The village had no pre-packaged foods. This was another obvious example of the varying levels of wealth in The Gambia.

Wild cats cuddled up with a wooden crocodile at the Brikama craft market


One more night in Banjul,



Andy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 1

Day 19

Final Paper