Day 19
Wednesday,
January 24, 2018
Today I woke up at 4:30, ate
breakfast, left Pink Lake, and headed to the airport. Our flight left at 9:30. We were rushed
at the airport and we had security guards yelling at us because we were
supposed to arrive 90 minutes early, but we were late. I like that you board the
plane from the tarmac. Both plane doors are open, so boarding is quick. The
flight was surprisingly not bad. Thankfully, a girl from my class traded me her
isle seat for my window seat. I cannot sit at a window seat without getting
claustrophobic. I watched three movies: Beauty and the Beast, Baywatch, and La
La Land. This took up the majority of the flight. The food wasn’t awful on this
flight either. Usually, I absolutely hate plane food, but I ate most of the
sides. The main dish was still gross.
We landed in JFK and had to go to
customs. I must have walked a mile just to get to customs. This airport is
gigantic. There must have been 50 kiosk machines at customs. There were only
five at Pittsburgh. Customs was painless. Then we went to baggage claim. My bag
arrived, and I ran to check it onto my next flight. We were running late (as
usual) so we ran to security. The security checkpoint looked like the inside of
a European train station. Security was painless, but we were past boarding time
by now. The flight was going to leave in twenty minutes. Myself and three other
students began sprinting through the airport to get to our next gate. I bet I
looked ridiculous but I didn’t care. We probably looked like the family from
Home Alone, running through the airport. The distance from Gate 20 to Gate 44
must have been a mile long. I was panting and dripping sweat by the time I
reached the Gate. The lady quickly scanned my boarding pass and said that we
made it just in time.
I found my seat and waited for the
others to come. They came about five minutes later but four students and my
professor were still missing. They moved the gate away from the plane and I
thought for sure that we would leave without them. The motor of the plane broke
though, so the mechanics had to work on the plane before we could take off.
This gave the missing people enough time to board. We were delayed almost an
hour but the flight was super quick and we landed on time. My parents were
waiting at the airport with Chick-Fil-A. I was very thankful to see them and
very happy to have American food. I loved being back home but I could do
without the snow and cold temperatures. My trip to Africa was a great
experience. There were good times and bad times. I made so many new friends and
created even more memories. I am grateful for the opportunity I had to travel
to Senegal and the Gambia and could not have done this trip without my advisor,
Buba. Here’s to my next adventure…
Comments
Post a Comment