Day 4
Tuesday, January
9, 2018
Today was by far my favorite day in
Senegal. I woke up early again to gain access to wifi so that I could message
my parents and friends. At breakfast, I learned that we would not be leaving
for the new hotel. The three missing suitcases still have not been found but
Buba has been in constant contact with the airport. There was a possibility
that the suitcases could be on the incoming Air France plane. We drove to the
airport to see if the suitcases were there, but they were not. This suitcase
issue has definitely messed up our itinerary, but I could not imagine not
having my suitcase and I feel so bad for those two girls and Buba.
We were originally going to check
into a hotel that was halfway between Senegal and Gambia. However, after going
to the airport, we went on a safari. This was amazing. We drove around for
about an hour and a half and saw so many kinds of animals. This was a giant
wildlife reservation. We saw giraffes, rhinos, zebras, ostriches, all different
kinds of antelope and birds, crocodiles, and water buffalo. It is so
interesting to see these animals in their natural habitat and not in a zoo.
They seem so free and come and go as they please. The reservation holds about
40 giraffes and 20 zebras. These were the animals I was most excited to see.
A rhino and the giraffes at the Reservation
After the safari, we went back to
the hotel to have lunch. Lunch was at 4:00… I had a fish and rice. After
dinner, Rohit reported to the staff that or toilet was not working. We would
flush, and the toilet would just keep running. A guy came down to look at it
and just moved us into another hut. Now this hut is so much nicer than the
first one. There are three separate beds, a separate room for the bathroom and
an actual door for the bathroom, 5 outlets, and even a Tv. I feel like I was
upgraded to the presidential suite. I was ready to leave this hotel today, but now
I do not think that staying another night will be that difficult.
The village children, dune, and views of the beach
Looking forward
to moving to the Gambia tomorrow and not missing cold Pittsburgh weather at
all.
- Andy
Comments
Post a Comment