Day 8
Saturday,
January 13, 2018
I had an excellent night of sleep
and I am feeling a lot better. My stomach is hurting a bit though. I had eggs
benedict for breakfast and actually finished the whole thing. After breakfast,
we went on the bus and headed towards Banjul, which is a major city in Gambia.
We first stopped to explore a famous gate. We got to climb to the top which
provided us with beautiful views of the Gambia. The stairs were inside one of
the pillars and were spiraled. I was afraid that I was going to hit my head.
The gate and views from the top of the gate
We then went to a local market. We
walked through the food and craft market. I was a bit grossed out by the food
market. It smelled awful, there was raw fish laying out in the open, rotting,
with bugs crawling all over them, and we had to walk through swarms of bugs. I
have so many bug bites now. The craft markets still have the same products. These
vendors were a bit more aggressive than the other craft vendors in the Gambia,
but are still not as aggressive as the crafters in Senegal. I like bargaining
with the vendors. According to Buba, we are supposed to offer 1/7 of the price
that is given to us. I cannot do that mentally, so I just say a number that I
think the product is worth. I bargained for some of my friends and got them
stuff for really cheap.
We
then went to a fabric store where Buba knows the owner. There are fabric stores
all over the place and there are so many colorfully patterned fabrics. A few
girls picked out some fabric and a tailor came and sketched dresses for them.
They will pick up their dresses in a few days. We had to wait a long hour for
this though. I noticed that these fabric shops and tailors were so different
from clothing culture in America. Americans go to large stores and spend
hundreds and even thousands of dollars on multiple outfits. In Africa, each
piece of clothing is meaningful and thought out.
We finally went to dinner at a place
called the Butcher House. For dessert, we had vanilla bean ice cream and I
could not have been happier. It tasted so good. I asked Buba during dinner, How
do Africans celebrate Christmas? Between him and the waiter, I have a great
understanding of this. On Christmas Eve, families stay home and converse and
celebrate with each other. In the morning, they will go to mass. Most are
Muslims in the Gambia. Christmas Day is a giant street celebration. Families
will go from house to house, visiting all their family and friends. The
children do what is similar to Trick-or-treating during this. Presents come in
the evening which is quite different than American culture where children
anxiously await under the tree to open presents at 5 am. They usually will have
lamb for dinner instead of ham too.
Comments
Post a Comment