Day 14
Friday, January
19, 2018
I did not sleep well last night. The
bed is a bit uncomfortable and there are noisy goats right outside my window.
My throat is feeling a bit better. I hope that I will just keep getting better
from now on. I was hopeful that the shower would be warm here. It wasn’t. I am
quite tired of taking freezing cold showers. Maybe that’s why I am sick again.
Today we went to a museum and a
crocodile pond. I was most fascinated by the crocodile pond. They had both male
and female crocodiles of all ages. We were able to pet and get close to a male
crocodile. These are the only ones that you can pet. The females are very
protective, and the younger ones will try to crawl away. We learned that they
are fish eating crocodiles, so this eased many of the students who thought that
they would be eaten by the crocodiles. We then went to the French cultural
center called Alliance. Apparently, there are 800 centers around the world and
one is even located in Pittsburgh. I found these centers very interesting and I
think that there should be more of these centers and for other languages as
well. Anyone can come to this center to learn French. They have computers and a
huge library of books and DVDs in French so that people can practice and
enhance their French skills. As a huge proponent of foreign languages, I
believe that this center is wonderful.
Petting a crocodile and other crocodiles around the pond
After lunch and a nap, we went to a
local craft market to learn Batik- this is a fiber art form that uses hot wax
and dip dying to create beautiful patterns. We learned how to layer the wax an
paint it on the fabric then how to fold the fabric in different patterns to
create unique forms during dip dying. The craft market had tablecloths, scarfs,
and tapestries. These are very interesting forms of art and I wish that I could
have tried creating one for myself.
Batik hanging in the market
We had chicken and fries for dinner.
It tasted ok. I am really craving a pizza. I might go across the street later
and get some pizza with friends. My throat is still hurting so I just took some
medicine. Hopefully I will feel better tomorrow. I also hope that tomorrow is
more eventful. We had a lot of down time.
Goodnight from
Goat Village,
Andy
Comments
Post a Comment